Sunday, March 11, 2012

We're Here!

We made it to Washington, D.C.!  We spent the day in Virginia, which is ridiculously quaint.  Even along a major interstate highway, there were picturesque farms with real red barns, grain silos in weathered stone, white clapboard churches with steeples reaching for heaven, cow-dotted hillsides -- looking like the whole scene was dressed by the Virginia Film Board. 

We meandered a bit more than yesterday, detouring to the Blue Ridge Parkway for a time.  We visited a huge steel-framed star atop Roanoak Mountain, and took roller-coaster roads back down to the interstate. 

When we headed into D.C. across Arlington Memorial Bridge, the girls squealed as we sighted the Washington Monument, and I confess, I squealed a little, too, because it meant we were almost at the hotel where I could collapse!

Tomorrow begins the real adventure -- trying to negotiate between my mom, the two girls and my sister and brother-in-law in  deciding what to do first! Ah, family vacations. . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Virginia and I live thirty minutes outside of DC, but I never go into DC. They have a zoo, a cupcake show, super nice shops, and even transportation. Sometimes I pass DC a think to myself that there is a lot to do there I should probably start going, but I never do.

Mahmee said...

Happy spring break adventure!
M.